Tuesday, July 22, 2008

1680 KGED Fresno CA received in South Africa !


I was fortunate to hear and identify KGED Fresno CA for the first time after reviewing a recording from my second visit/dxpedition to the Cape Of Good Hope National Park last week. The reception of the 1 kw signal occurred over a distance of 16 250 km !

Apart from a tentative appearance of former 1680 KVAT in 2006, It's been over 20 years since I've managed to hear and identify California on medium wave (640 KFI Los Angeles, 680 KNBR San Francisco and 1070 KNX Los Angeles made it through in 1986).

KGED Reception Manager/International Dxer Patrick Martin kindly verified the reception :

" ... Gary, I am impressed!!! The first report from Africa for the station. A very excellent catch. Bravo!!! I tried the last time, but unfortunately there were two Radio Disney stations on 1680 and I could not ID the audio you sent. This time, there are no doubts. I can catch the calls easily. I will mail you out a QSL. Thanks for giving it such great try. You did it. Fantastic. 73, Patrick ... "

Thank you for the kind comments Patrick. I look forward to receiving your QSL !

No comments: